Friday, December 19, 2014

Predicting All The Bad Bowl Games; Plus Week 16 NFL Picks



College football is back in this space this week, as the first of the zillion bowl games begin this weekend. I’ll be honest; there isn’t anything that excites me quite like South Alabama and Bowling Green in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl. That just screams “BIG TIME” and “MUST SEE TV”…. except it actually doesn’t.

We all already know that there are too many bowl games, so spending any time yelling about it until my vocal cords give out from laryngitis is pretty much pointless. Plus, all these games just give me more picks to whiff on worse than “Casey at the Bat”, right?

Without further ado, let’s move on to my college football bowl picks from tomorrow until December 26th (I’ll pick the rest of them, including the playoff games, next Friday).

R + L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

Louisiana-Lafayette over Nevada

I’m not going to pretend that I can offer a coherent football thought about either of these teams (as will be the case with a lot of these games today), so instead, I’m just going to create some sort of creative, zany, or completely ridiculous reason to pick the winner. Plus, most of the time, every bowl game is pretty much a crapshoot anyway. In this case, let’s look at the team nicknames. Nevada is the Wolf Pack. Solid name right? It’s scary, there’s the whole “teamwork” undertone present in there, and they’ve got the always underrated team-nickname-that-doesn’t-end-with-an “s” angle working in their favor.

Is there a better and more creative nickname in college sports than “Ragin’ Cajuns” though? At least right now, I can’t think of one. It rhymes, it pays homage to the region, and it just sounds angry. If team nickname is the only criteria, (and in this case, it is), then good luck to anyone who is playing Louisiana-Lafayette. Ragin’ Cajuns is great.

Gildan New Mexico Bowl

Utah State over UTEP

Like the last game, I pretty much have no idea with this one, though I did watch every snap of a game Utah State played this season, against Tennessee….. all the way back in the first week of the season. So any observation I gathered in that 38-7 win by the Vols is probably useless. I’m going with Utah State basically because they had better wins during the season than UTEP. State beat BYU when they were ranked 18th; the Miners (another great nickname. Too bad that doesn’t matter in this game) lost the only game they played this season against a ranked team, #25 Kansas State, by 30.

Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl

#22 Utah over Colorado State

Wow! It’s Utah, a team I actually watched multiple times this year! Amazing! The Utes, despite deciding they didn’t want to play good football anymore after I started saying things like, “I’m a believer in Utah” and, “Oregon better watch out, they’re going to have a tough game at Utah in two weeks”, are still better than Colorado State, a team that just lost their head coach, Jim McElwain, to Florida. Just for the record, I, despite the fact that I’ll be rooting against him harder than every American rooted against the Soviet Union during the Cold War, think he’ll do a really good job in Gainesville, assuming he can find a way to recruit some special offensive skill position players. That doesn’t seem like that impossible of a task, until you remember that Will Muschamp was completely incapable of doing this, despite the fact that the state of Florida produces a million fast, quick, speedy freaks every year.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

Air Force over Western Michigan

And, with that, we’re back to teams I didn’t watch all season. Air Force did win the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy this season though, which is given annually to the winner of the triangular series between them, Army, and Navy. That’s got to count for something, right? Doesn’t it? No? It doesn’t? Oh, well yeah, actually, you’re right.

Raycom Media Camellia Bowl

Bowling Green over South Alabama

I trashed this game earlier, so instead of trying to dignify it with any type of breakdown, I’ll just make a pick, and move on.

Miami Beach Bowl

Memphis over BYU

Memphis had a sneaky good season this year, as their only three losses were to UCLA, Ole Miss, and Houston. They ended the season with six straight wins, and won those games by 38, 20, 3, 31, 11, and 31 points. That’s a nice end to the year, and much more impressive than anything that BYU has done lately. Besides beating California, who is somewhere around the 10th best team in the Pac 12, they haven’t looked impressive since September (including four straight losses in October). Memphis is just better.

Boca Raton Bowl

Marshall over Northern Illinois

The Thundering Herd (another excellent nickname!) are one point away from being 13-0. I don’t know how much that ultimately matters, or will affect this game, but I just thought I’d mention it.

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl

Navy over San Diego State

Maybe the most ridiculous bowl name. I mean seriously? You can’t even fit that on a T-shirt, or a hat, without having the letters go all the way around the cap. The only way this one loses the title of “Worst Bowl Name” is if Waste Management or “Old Man Hemorrhoid Cream” ever sponsor a game. Then, and only then.

Popeye’s Bahamas Bowl

Central Michigan over Western Kentucky

Yeah, because nothing screams “Bahamas” quite like “Popeye’s”. What a perfect fit.

Hawaii Bowl

Rice over Fresno State

Is their a better location for a bowl game than Hawaii? Great weather, beautiful women, and it is, by geography, the most unique and isolated state in the Union. This might be the only time in those athletes’ entire lives that they get the opportunity to go there. If I was a college football player, and my team wasn’t involved in the playoff, or one of the New Years’ Six bowl games, send me to Hawaii.

Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl

Louisiana Tech over Illinois

Last time I made a prediction about a game involving La Tech (the Conference USA Championship Game), I picked against them because I wasn’t sure they were quite able to get the stink of former coach Derek Dooley out of the program yet. Apparently, that logic was unassailable, because they, in typical Dooley fashion, lost the game. Illinois is terrible though…. They can beat them right? Or will the ghost of Dooley emerge once again to haunt them? It probably will, but, because I’m an idiot, I’m going to pick them.

Quick Lane Bowl

Rutgers over North Carolina

I hope this game is over “Quick”ly….. BOOM!!!! I think that might be the first pun I’ve ever written. Should I even be proud of that one though? (Thinking…..) No, probably not. That was bad. I’m sorry.

Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl

Central Florida over N.C. State

This might be one of the few games where a team from a worse conference (in this case, UCF) has better athletes across the board than a school from the ACC (in this case, N.C. State). George O’Leary, UCF’s coach, can walk out of his house and drive around recruiting on a golf cart. There’s got to be at least a zillion D-1 prospects within walking distance of that Orlando campus.

So there you have it. That, as painful as it was in A LOT of places, is our first wave of bowl games. The ones after the 26th get significantly better though, for the most part.

Now, let’s move on to the NFL, the league that actually has multiple games that aren’t snooze fests this week (home team in CAPS).

Titans over JAGUARS

Yeah, I missed this one. What a terrible Thursday night match up. Way to go NFL. Let’s just put two of the worst five teams on national television late in the season. Good thinking guys. Thanks for subjecting me to that level of brain trauma last night.

Eagles over REDSKINS

Our first of two Saturday games this weekend! I’ll tell you what, there’s nothing better than watching Redskin football right now. Just seeing RG3 look like a lost little boy out there every week is one of the great running jokes in the NFL right now. So thank you for that!

On the Philadelphia front, there, for the seventh straight game, will be no Nick Foles. I don’t think he’s great, but he’s definitely an upgrade over Mark Sanchez, who has put up the most Sanchez numbers possible since he began starting in Foles’ place: he’s thrown 10 TDs and 9 interceptions, and led the Eagles to a 3-3 record. He’s put up points on some average-to-bad defenses, and struggled mightily against everyone else (like Seattle, for example). Those numbers over the last six games are pretty much what he is, and indicative of his ultimate NFL destiny; a career backup, who can come in, run your team, score some points, and go at least .500, assuming he’s surrounded by semi-decent personnel. He’s not as bad as the media and fans made him out to be, but he’s also never going to be a quarterback that was worth the 5th overall pick. And you aren’t going to win a Super Bowl with him in the starting lineup. Philly needs Foles. And even if they get him back for Week 17, it may not matter, because winning out doesn’t guarantee them a playoff spot. Just brutal.

Chargers over 49ERS

A must win for the Bolts. Fortunately for San Diego, the Niners were eliminated from playoff contention last Sunday (what kind of motivation will they have the last two weeks? My guess? Not much), Jim Harbaugh appears to be seriously flirting with Michigan, and Colin Kaepernick has less confidence on the football field than Shaq does at the free throw line. They caught this team at the perfect time, and hopefully, the Chargers will be able to capitalize on that, so I won’t look like an idiot for defiantly sticking by them all season. Or, the offensive line could betray them for the third straight week, causing them to lose an extremely frustrating 13-10 type of game, with lots of turnovers and completely inept play from both offenses. Gulp.

DOLPHINS over Vikings

I can’t believe Minnesota is 6-8 this season. They’ve started a rookie most of the year, got only one game out of their best player, Adrian Peterson, and have had virtually no contribution, either on offense, or in special teams, from Cordarrelle Patterson. Sure, they have the 11th ranked defense in the league, but the offense looks nothing like the way people envisioned it would be all the way back in August. Imagine if Peterson hadn’t decided it was a good idea to open up multiple wounds on his four year old son; he’s worth at least two or three additional wins, right? What if this team was 8-6 or 9-5 right now? They’d be right in the middle of the playoff race! Instead, they’re 6-8, and will be 6-9 after they lose in Miami this week to a superior team. It’s a lost season in Minneapolis, all because Peterson lost his cool and went way overboard in disciplining his son. What a waste.

Ravens over TEXANS

I’d be more inclined to pick Houston if they had any idea about what they were doing at the quarterback position. Case Keenum? Thad Lewis? Who?

Lions over BEARS

The Jay Cutler era in Chicago has officially hit rock bottom. He was horrendous last week (three picks, 54.8% completions), and it’s never a good thing when you get benched in favor of Jimmy Clausen, who was Ryan Leaf-level bad in his one abbreviated season of starting in Carolina. That 7 year, 120 million dollar deal the Bears gave Cutler after last season might be the worst and most egregious waste of funds in the history of the NFL. The team will owe him a guaranteed 54 million through the first three years of that deal. Divide that by three, and they’ve basically paid him 18 million this season for 24 turnovers over 14 games. Really? 18 million for that level of production? Sheesh.

I don’t expect the Clausen-led Bears to put up all that much resistance this week, and the Lions will get their do-or-die game for the division next week in Green Bay. I can’t wait for that one.

PANTHERS over Browns

Could Cam Newton actually play this week? It would be incredible, considering he was in a pretty serious car accident just last Tuesday. Even without him, I don’t have any faith in the Browns and Johnny Manziel, on the road, after last week’s embarrassing loss to Cincinnati. Is it too late to go back to Hoyer? For all the talk about how terrible he was, Hoyer never had a game as poor as the one Johnny Football played last Sunday.

SAINTS over Falcons

What a stupid game. The fact that this one, between the 5-9 Falcons, and the 6-8 Saints, has playoff implications is the biggest on-field tragedy of the NFL season. Either I’ll be excited about this game once it starts, or I’ll be spend the entire time trying to drill an ice pick into my temple. I haven’t decided yet, and I won’t know until kickoff. I’m going with New Orleans, solely because I have no idea what kind of Julio Jones Atlanta will get this weekend. His hip injury kept him from practicing today, and he’s questionable for Sunday’s game. Even if he does play, he won’t be 100%, and I’m not sure the Falcons can win an enormous, have-to-have-it game against a better team at home.

Packers over BUCCANEERS

I tried to create a scenario in my head where Tampa Bay would win, and I couldn’t think of one that didn’t involve Aaron Rodgers tearing his ACL, followed by the Packers’ sideline being struck by a meteor.

STEELERS over Chiefs

Pittsburgh is such a frustrating team to pick week-to-week, because they have almost as many great wins (Indianapolis, Baltimore, Cincinnati) as they do stupid losses (Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Saints). I literally feel like I’m rolling the dice and praying they don’t screw up every single week. Still, on paper, they’re a better team, and the team they’re playing, K.C. has a worse vertical passing game than at least 50% of all middle school teams. The Pittsburgh offense has been, when they aren’t losing dumb games, explosive, and the Steeler pass rush has random games every once in a while where they completely take over the game and blow up the quarterback like 20 times. I’ll pick them solely on the fact that they, at their apex, are five times better than the Chiefs at theirs.

Patriots over JETS

I mean, do I even need to say anything else? It’s the Jets! They’re terrible! The entire Patriot defense could play blindfolded on Sunday and still pick off Geno Smith three or four times.

RAMS over Giants

St. Louis has only allowed 12 points over the last three weeks. That doesn’t bode well for the G-Men, who have one of the worst offensive lines in the league, and a quarterback in Eli Manning who is prone to having multi-interception games when he faces immense pressure, like he will on Sunday.

Bills over RAIDERS

I like Derek Carr, but I like the Buffalo defense even more this week. The Bills have the same problem as the Rams; they’re just an above-average quarterback away from being really interesting and dangerous. Kyle Orton and Shaun Hill aren’t the answer for any team with playoff aspirations.

COWBOYS over Colts

I feel terrible about this pick. It makes sense to pick Dallas, the team at home, against a Colts’ team that really doesn’t need this game as badly as Big D does. But then you remember that Demarco Murray just had hand surgery on Monday (how effective will he be on Sunday? I have no idea), and that this is still the Cowboys, who live to break their fans’ hearts. That game hasn’t happened YET this year, but wouldn’t it be the most Cowboy thing possible for them, off an extremely important, overwhelmingly emotional, road win in Philly, to come home and absolutely lay an egg in a pretty important game? I can see it now; Jason Garrett magically turns back into “Bad Play Calling Jason Garrett”, and decides he wants Tony Romo to throw the ball 50 or more times, leading to that inevitable moment late in the 4th quarter where Romo throws a stupid pass into triple coverage that gets picked off, killing their last chance, followed by Skip Baseless bursting all of the blood vessels in his head screaming about the Dallas loss on Monday morning. That couldn’t happen, could it? Dallas is smarter than that right? They’ve gotten all the embarrassing, gut punch losses out of their system correct? I think they have, and this feels like a different team than those squads from years past, but who knows? Regardless, I’m either going to feel like a genius, or an idiot when I wake up the next day. It’s one or the other, with no in-between.

Seahawks over CARDINALS

Arizona is in the same boat as Houston, meaning I’d be more inclined to pick them if they had any idea at the quarterback position. Drew Stanton was bad enough, but Ryan Lindley or Logan Thomas? Against that defense? This game might produce the worst quarterback stat line of any on Sunday Night Football this season. Couldn’t you see Lindley having a Manziel-like day? 80 yards and multiple interceptions seem reasonable.

Broncos over BENGALS

Finally, the Monday Night Game. I picked 10 road teams this week! My predictions could get ugly, and get there quickly. Then again, that’s kind of a weekly reality for me. Oh well.

I’m really concerned about Manning’s arm strength. I haven’t seen him throw an absolute strike down the field in what seems like eight weeks. Every throw is wobbly, and it floats its way to the receiver, before ultimately dying in the air and slowly falling slowly towards the turf. It’s no coincidence that he hasn’t had a game over 300 yards passing since November 16th. As the weather has gotten colder, Manning’s arm strength has rapidly declined. They won’t need him to be great to beat Cincinnati on Monday, but they won’t win the Super Bowl with this Manning either. In fact, as tragic as it is, I think this Manning is here to stay. His throws were weak early in the season, when the weather was warm. I can’t see him, at 38 years old, after three neck surgeries, magically morphing back into the 32 year old version of himself that could power the ball wherever he needed it to go. It’s been a great run for Manning, and a great career, but it might be over sooner than we think.

-

Finally, as promised, the unveiling football picks record for the season, something I promised I’d do on Monday. I went back and double-checked this to make sure I did my math correctly, and got the same numbers twice. And if I messed up the numbers, either I can’t count, or I can’t read. Honestly, I’m not sure what’s worse. Anyway, let’s just move on…..

My College Record: 59-34
My NFL Record: 124-67
My Overall Record: 183-101


See, I’m not THAT much of an idiot! Right? RIGHT???

No comments:

Post a Comment