Monday, November 7, 2016

Deconstructing Jalen Hurd's Twitter Explanation


Jalen Hurd has finally spoken on his sudden, but not overly impactful, departure from the Tennessee football team. Last night, he posted a two page “explanation” on his Twitter page, in order to put to bed the “multiple storylines” created by the big bad media. Yes Jalen, you were victimized in your two-plus seasons in Knoxville.
I wrote about this last week, but I thought it was worth revisiting now that Hurd himself has spoken out on the situation.
Here's his post: 


Just for fun, I thought I’d run through his statement, and highlight a few of the sentences that really stood out to me.
“I want to say thank you to the University of Tennessee for everything it did for me”
My BS meter went off instantly, considering your uncle's message board post was basically a mirror image of the rest of your Twitter statement. “I’m a warrior and I want recognition for literally removing a full body cast before I played every game” and “The coaching staff didn’t entirely change their offensive scheme to fit my skill set” is the entire point of you transferring correct? According to you, they stunted your growth as a player and didn’t bend over backwards to recognize you as the toughest and most courageous person in the history of the United States. You made it sound like your time on Rocky Top was a terrible experience, one where everyone didn’t bend to your will. What exactly are you thankful for?
“While everyone may not agree with it (his decision to transfer), I feel it is in my best interest”
No, actually Jalen, I’m pretty sure we’re all ok with you transferring. Or at least I am. Not a great fit for the scheme, bad attitude, quit on his teammates by walking out mid-season when things didn’t go his way…. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
“I understood that the media would create multiple storylines as to why I made the decision so I want to inform you the truth”
Now it’s getting good! Yes Jalen, you’re right, the media is the bad guy here! It’s all their fault! They shouldn’t ask any questions, speculate about anything, or report what they’ve heard! They shouldn’t fact check you at all!
“I don’t want anyone questioning my character because I have always tried my best to be respectful of my coaches and considerate of the Vol community throughout my career”
Again, probably not true at all, considering one of the main reasons your transferring is because the coaching staff isn’t bending over and grabbing the ankles for you. And then there’s all rumors about him losing his cool multiple times, screaming at the coaches, and storming out of meetings.
I don’t know if he’s a bad dude or not, but it’s probably not a good sign for him that his mother got arrested during the Florida game this year for causing a disturbance in the stands. I don’t know about you guys, but how many times has your mother gone to a football game and caused such an uproar that she literally had to have her freedom taken away from for a short time? And that’s the person that raised him; no wonder he has an alleged anger problem.
“I have suffered multiple injuries this year that were not and should not have been disclosed including a concussion that sidelined me for the A&M game”
My least favorite thing about this entire saga is the idea that Tennessee somehow didn’t do enough to reward or acknowledge Jalen for playing through injuries. I joked about this before, but what did he expect, President Obama himself to fly to Knoxville and present him with a Purple Heart? Did he expect to win the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at this year’s ESPY’s? And when did Tennessee leak that he had a concussion? That’s been speculated by a few people, but it was never confirmed by the University. In fact, Butch told the media that a lower body injury was the cause of him not traveling for the A&M game.
“Coming to Tennessee, I understood the read option offense may not be the best fit for me, but I put that aside for my love of Tennessee and wanting to be part of a beloved program. While I had hoped for scheme adjustments to suit my strengths, this did not happen on a consistent enough basis”
Again, Jalen, no one made you come to Tennessee! You acknowledged yourself that you knew going into your time with the Vols that the offensive scheme run by Butch didn’t suit your skillset, and yet, you chose to do it anyway! There are a zillion programs in the country, many of them elite (like Alabama) that run an I-formation attack that would allow you to get your momentum going before you received the ball. Going to Tennessee and then complaining about the offense is like ordering a fresh cup of coffee and then whining about it being too hot.
And why would you hope for scheme adjustments? What indication has Butch ever given to anyone that he would change his offensive system? His “word”? Butch’s alleged “promises” are all hearsay as far as I’m concerned. Butch has always been a read option coach, and the quarterbacks he’s recruited have fit that mold. Why would he compromise his quarterback’s skillset for the running back’s when both guys knew the offense that was going to be run and still chose to come to the school anyway?
“This did have a factor in my decision as I want to play in an offensive scheme that highlights my abilities to run but also expands to allow me to show my abilities to catch the ball and be a mismatch for defenses”
So the plan is to transfer to another school, sit out for an entire season, and switch to receiver or tight end, a position you haven’t played in any competitive or high level game in your entire life? Good luck with that…
Also, just as a side note, if I had to list Jalen’s 25 best attributes as a football player, pass catching would be 26th. This positional transition is going to go horribly wrong, and if he’s smart, he’ll figure that out.
My guess? He ends up working out all winter and declares for the NFL draft. I can’t see him sitting out a year and then starting the 2018 football season at a new position, competing for playing time against guys who have played those positions their entire football lives. Since he’s not staying at Tennessee, going pro probably makes the most sense even if he’ll be a late round pick.
“Thank you to all the fans and the entire Vol nation. Y’all are amazing and one of the best in the country!!”
And that’s why I’m quitting on all of you and my teammates mid-season! Goodbye suckers! I’m on my way to a failed NFL career! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment